This is the class that you are required to take to apply for your Michigan Concealed Pistol License (aka CPL, Concealed Carry License or CCW License).
The CCW / CPL class is 8 hours, and covers:
- Basic pistol safety
- Fundamentals of shooting
- Proper grip
- Proper sight alignment
- Different calibers and types of ammo
- Different calibers and types of pistols
- Proper storage of a pistol
- How to check if a gun is loaded or not
- Correct loading and unloading procedures
- Difference between cover and concealment
- How to deal with a deadly encounter
- When you are allowed to use deadly force
- Places you’re allowed to carry your pistol concealed
- Places that you’re not allowed to carry your pistol concealed (pistol free zones)
- How to apply for your Michigan CPL
What we teach and other CPL classes don’t:
- Techniques so somebody can’t take your gun from you
- Different types of holsters (pros and cons. Students get to try them all)
- Easy self defense techniques
- How to shoot from the hip
- What to do if your gun jams (students practice in class)
- Proper way to draw (as they teach in the police academy)
- Proper way to holster your gun
- Strategies for dealing with an active shooter
- Unlike most other classes, we don’t have you watch videos for 6 hours to “teach” the class. We personally instruct everything, and revolve the class around hands-on training
Our Training Guarantee: If you don’t pass the shooting portion or if you feel uncomfortable by the end of class, take the class again for free!
We’ve never had a student fail, and we aren’t going to start now. We spend the 1 on 1 time to make sure even the most novice shooters receive a high-quality education. Our oldest student is in their mid 70′s and our youngest was 14. Our instructors are former / active law enforcement and NRA-certified pistol instructors with years of experience. Quality training makes all the difference!
Students will have an opportunity to handle all sorts of different pistols. The CCW class is quite hands-on, and plenty of instructors are available for more 1 on 1 time. By the time the classroom portion is over, we make sure everyone has a good understanding of pistols and are comfortable with them.
Then, we head to a local shooting range to practice skills. Instructors and range safety officers supervise and assist students to load and shoot. Targets are set at various distances, and students also get a chance to practice rapid fire, instinctive (point) shooting and shooting fundamentals. We have typically 1 instructor/range safety officer per every 2 students so we’re there to guide and coach. A final test of shooting skills is taken, whereas a student must shoot a piece of paper at 5 yards (15 feet). 50 rounds are shot in total. (We’ve never had a student fail this due to our attentive and helpful instructors).
Upon completion, students are awarded a certificate with their name indicating they have successfully passed the class. Students may then use this certificate to satisfy the Michigan Concealed Pistol License CPL training requirement. This is the concealed weapons permit Michigan class. Once you complete the class, you are ready to apply for your CPL and CCW permit.
You do NOT need to have your own gun to attend the class. We have plenty of guns available for students to use for free, and the gun ranges also allow you the option to rent any gun you would like.
Ammo is the student’s responsibility. 50 rounds of ammo typically costs between $15 and $25, depending upon caliber and is available for purchase at the gun range the day of class.
There are no requirements regarding age, shooting ability, firearms experience or if you do or don’t currently own a gun. Everyone is welcomed, but we do recommend those with very limited firearm experience to take our beginners pistol class before this Michigan CCW Class.
|Michigan CPL CCW Class (N. Oakland County)Open Seats 10||2013-6-22 10:00 am||-||6:00 pm|
|Michigan CPL CCW Class (Adrian, MI)Open Seats 20||2013-6-29 8:30 am||-||5:30 pm|
|Michigan CPL CCW Class (Redford)Open Seats 22||2013-6-29 9:30 am||-||5:30 pm|
|Michigan CPL CCW Class (Adrian, MI)Open Seats 20||2013-7-13 8:30 am||-||5:30 pm|
What you need to bring to class:
- Photo ID
- Pistol/Handgun/Holster (if you own one and want to bring it)
- Beverage of choice
- Good attitude
- Cash or credit card (for ammo)
- Pen or pencil to take notes
Class registration and payment may be completed using our Online Class Registration. You must register online so we can print out your certificate. You may also pay online, but cash is also accepted on the day of class.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com
Here’s a short example from our last class:
All aspects of safe concealed carry are covered in detail. "Hands on" usage of many types of pistols and holsters is encouraged to make this class an excellent resource to increase your knowledge and awareness to make you a safe and confident CPL candidate. Expert personal and patient gun range coaching on your shooting techniques made this a real confidence booster by increasing my accuracy and consistency.
GREAT CLASS !
My husband and I took the class today. Will was a great instructor, very patient with all my questions and my nervousness. After the range practice I was definitely not as scared of hand guns. I would recommend this class to everyone. Great job Will !!!!!!
Simply THE BEST!
The CPL class is truly THE BEST. I can't think of a single thing to improve upon. The 8 hours flew by and I learned so much. Awesome instructors, tons of useful information and hands-on practice. I drove 2 hours round trip for the class and I would absolutely do it again. Thank you Darcy, Thank you Will!!